Desktop Support - Help Desk Tech
Job Title: Desktop Support/Help Desk Technician
Department: Information Technology
Reports To: IT Technical Manager
Job Level: Professional / Managerial # (Depends on skill level and experience)
Desktop Support Technician is responsible for Tier 1 level support: installing/configuring, and operating/maintaining workstation hardware, OS, and software and providing end-user support. The Technician will install workstations and configure OS, hardware, peripherals, settings, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements; Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of staff hardware, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups; provide feedback for maintaining installation and configuration procedures; Contribute to and maintain system standards; Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale; Configure/add new services as necessary.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide excellent customer service
- Follow agile processing principle using the Kanban and scrum frameworks
- Accurately document and update call information in ticket system
- Provide efficient, knowledgeable desktop troubleshooting and support to clients for PC, LAN, remote access and internet issues by phone, remote assistance, or in-person
- Respond to e-mail and phone calls from staff members in a timely manner regarding requests for service requests, initial troubleshooting, repair, or user maintenance as needed.
- Preparing hardware for deployment, including using imaging software, configuration, or direct installations
- Assist with installation, configuration and support for all business applications and systems
- Maintain technical skills as technology and software packages change.
- Meet KPI requirements and adhere to Procedures
- Maintain invoicing and inventory spreadsheets
- Create/modify/update SOP’s and daily task check lists as needed
- All employees are expected to participate in catastrophic events.
Other duties as assigned. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Ability to work and function efficiently in a team-oriented environment
- Good organizational, time management, and listening skills
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma
- 2 years computer systems, technical training, or help desk related experience
- Experience configuring & troubleshooting PC hardware required
- Proficiency with the following Microsoft Office products: Word, Excel and Outlook
- Valid Virginia Driver’s License required
- Working knowledge of Jira software is a plus
- A+ Certification preferred
Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including proper phone/email etiquette
Excellent analytical, mathematical, and problem-solving skills.
In order to fulfill the demands of this service-oriented department, the individual must be self-motivated, highly dependable, flexible, action oriented and able to work occasional overtime on nights and weekends as necessary.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIROMENT
This position is located at our Irvington, VA office. The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The employee will be required to sit, talk, see, and hear. While performing this job, the employee is required to be flexible enough to access tight spaces such as under desks and behind office furniture, talk, listen, type, and lift heavy objects related to computer equipment, such as monitors weighing as much as 50 lbs. The employee is frequently required to use hands to type, key numbers and handle paper documents and files.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable those with physical disabilities to perform essential functions.