Need help? We have answers!

I have questions about:


Member Portal

Policy Change Requests

Policy Documents


  • How do I pay my insurance bill online?

    You may pay your insurance bill for any policy by logging into your member portal account. You may also pay without logging in.

    1. Log into your Member Portal account.
    2. Click Make a Payment. (On mobile first tap on three blue lines in the top left corner)
    3. Select your policy from the list.
    4. Select the current amount due or the payoff amount.
    5. Select a payment method.
    6. Review your payment.
    7. Payment confirmation will display.
    8. For a printable receipt, go to Policy Details and then scroll to Documents.
  • How do I verify my online payment?

    1. Log into your Member Portal account.
    2. Click Policy Detail. (On mobile first tap on three blue lines in the top left corner)
    3. Select the policy.
    4. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and select Documents.
    5. Next to Payment Receipt, select Download. 
    6. Print or download your receipt. 
  • What credit cards can I use to pay my bill?

    You may use a Visa/Mastercard/Discover/American Express debit or credit card to pay your bill. You may not use gift cards or other pre-paid cards.

  • Can I use my checking or savings account to pay my bill?

    Yes, you can make a one-time payment using your savings, personal checking, or business checking account to pay your bill.

  • Can I set up automatic payments for my insurance bill?

    Yes, you can sign up for Automatic Payments with your bank account, debit or credit card by calling your local agent or our Billing Team at 800-552-8660. Options for automated payments are Annual Full-Payment, 2-Payment, 4-Payment, or Monthly.

  • Can I make a payment on my account without logging in to the Member Portal?

    Yes, to make a payment without an account or without logging into your account:

    1. Click here and select Pay Bill at the bottom of the screen.
    2. Complete the form.
    3. Be sure to read and tick the box for the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Statement.
    4. Click Retrieve Bill.
    5. Select the payment amount.
    6. Select payment method – credit card or ACH (bank account).
      1. If using a credit card:
        • Verify and/or correct cardholder name and billing address
        • Enter card information and click the button to Save Card
        • Click button to Submit Payment for $###.##
      1.  If using a bank account for direct payment:
        1. Complete:
          • Routing Number
          • Account Number
          • Confirm Account Number
          • Last Name on Account
          • Account Type
        • Click the button to Review Payment.
        • Confirm Details and click the button to Submit payment for $###.##.

    9. Payment confirmation will display.

    10.  For a printable receipt, go to Policy Details and then scroll to Documents.

  • Can I set up electronic payments for future refunds or claim payments?

    1. Electronic claim payments can be made by a bank account transaction into your checking or savings account. This is set up by your adjuster during the claim process when you experience a loss.
      • If on an automated payment plan, refunds will be deposited by bank account (ACH) or Credit/Debit card depending on how your payments are set to withdraw.
      • If on a direct bill payment plan, we will refund overpayments by check.
    2. Refunds for overpaid premiums will be issued based on the current pay plan. 

STILL NEED HELP? Skip to the form below




  • Can I report a claim online?

    Yes! You can report a claim by calling your local agent, calling our 24/7 Claims Hotline 877-968-7252 or in your online account:

    1. Log into your Member Portal account.
    2. Click Report Claim. (On mobile first tap on three blue lines in the top left corner)
    3. Select what type of loss you experienced from the drop-down menu.
    4. Enter the date of the incident.
    5. Enter the time of the incident.
    6. Complete the form with additional information.
    7. Verify your contact information.
    8. Upload relevant files and pictures.
    9. Submit your claim.
    10. A claims adjuster will contact you within 24 business hours. 
  • What is the Home Insurance Claims Process?

    Visit the Report an Insurance Claim page and scroll to the bottom to learn more.

  • What is the Auto Insurance Claims Process?

    Visit the Report an Insurance Claim page and scroll to the bottom to learn more.

  • What should I do if my home is not livable after damage?

    Call your local insurance agent and report your claim first. Take photos/videos of damage if possible. Then, if it's safe, secure the premises or hire a professional to make temporary repairs such as boarding up windows, tarping the roof, etc., to prevent further damage.  Communicate with your agent/claims adjuster for further instruction and plan to stay somewhere safe with a family member, friend, or hotel. Be sure to keep all receipts for temporary living space, gas, food, clothing, etc. Start preparing a home inventory of damaged personal property. Hold onto any damaged property until instructed otherwise by your claims adjuster.

  • When should I hire someone to start repairs?

    Hold off on major repairs until they are approved by your claims adjuster. We recommend hiring repair reputable Virginia-licensed and certified home contractors. Don't let something too good to be true cost you. Scammers will go door to door in hard-hit areas and neighborhoods offering debris removal or roof tarping services & ask for cash upfront. More often than not, you've paid, and they do not return. Protect yourself by getting a written agreement & discuss payment options after services are complete.

  • Who is liable when a tree falls on a neighbor's property in Virginia?

    When a tree falls and damages property, whose insurance pays? Boy, we get this question a lot, so we wrote about it. Generally, your damaged property is covered under your homeowners policy, even if someone else's tree causes the damage. There may be exceptions. The best thing is for you and your neighbor to report the damage to your insurance companies and allow adjusters to review the details.

  • Does my neighbor's insurance pay for repairs if their tree falls on my house? 

    Your insurance pays for damage to your property, even if the tree was rooted in your neighbor's yard. Report the damage and allow the adjusters to review the claim. Learn more.

  • I have extensive water damage to my home, including rot and mold. Is that covered?

    Deterioration, rot, and mold are indicative of a long-term leak in your home is considered to be a maintenance issue and are not covered. Water damage that occurred on the reported date of loss can be covered. Learn more

  • What is a Named Storm Deductible on my policy?

    A named storm deductible, also known as a hurricane deductible, is triggered when the National Weather Service (NWS) "names" a tropical storm or hurricane, and issues a hurricane watch or warning for any part of Virginia. This does not apply to a winter-named storm. Instead of the standard deductible on a related home claim, your responsibility would be the flat-named storm deductible or a percentage deductible of coverage A on your policy. Learn more: What is a Hurricane Deductible and How Do You Know If You Have One?

  • My home was affected by severe weather. What should I do?

    If you have been affected by the recent severe weather, your safety is the most important thing to us. We ask that you put the first aid and welfare of your family and neighbors first and your home insurance claim second. Be very careful around any storm damage or downed power lines. Contact emergency officials and your utility company right away if needed. Remember to never drive through flooded roads and stay away from floodwater. If you have damage to your home or property, take the following steps:

    • Shut off your home's main power or shut off your main water supply if needed. Have an electrician check the house before turning the power back on.
    • Take photos and videos before making minimal temporary repairs to prevent further damage.
    • If your home is unlivable, find safe shelter with a friend, family member, or hotel.
    • Contact your local independent agent to start your claim.
    • You may also report your claim on our 24/7 Claims Hotline (877-968-7252) or make an online claim from your online member account
    • Take wide and close-up photos and/or videos of any damage.
    • Document damage to your property using a home inventory checklist.
    • Keep all receipts for lodging, food, clothing, gas, and other necessities.
    • Discuss specific claim questions with your agent and claims adjuster.
    • If your car is flooded, call our 24/7/365 Roadside Assistance if needed (800-913-8847), take pictures, and report your comprehensive car insurance claim.

STILL NEED HELP? Skip to the form below





  • What coverages are included in my home insurance policy?

    A few standard coverage types come with our home insurance policy. Here's a breakdown of each type and what they include:

    • Dwelling—This coverage protects the structure of your home and pays for the costs to rebuild or repair it after a covered peril. The dwelling coverage limit is typically equal to your home's estimated value.
    • Other structures—This covers the costs of rebuilding or repairing extra structures or buildings on your property separate from your house, such as a fence or storage shed.
    • Personal property—This covers your belongings if they get stolen, damaged, or vandalized. You can also choose between replacement cost coverage, which replaces your items for new ones, or actual cash value coverage, which offers money during a claim for the depreciated value of your items.
    • Loss of use —This coverage protects you if you are displaced from your home after a covered event, such as a fire or natural disaster. Hotel fees and other living expenses can quickly add up to thousands of dollars, and this coverage pays for those expenses while your home is being repaired or rebuilt.
    • Personal liability—Personal liability claims pay for legal fees or medical bills that arise when you are responsible for an accident or injury to someone else on your property.
    • Medical payments to others—If someone gets injured on your property and you're not at fault, we can pay their medical costs up to the policy limit.
    • Homeowners Enhancement Endorsement—For a nominal annual fee with our superior Homeowners product, you add coverages for:
      • Credit card, fund transfer card, forgery, and counterfeit money (increased limit up to $2500)
      • Earthquake damage, sinkhole collapse, special debris removal coverage, loss caused by water that backs up through sewers or drains (personal property sub-limit of $25,000 applies)
      • Refrigerated property damage
      • Personal injury
      • An additional $1000 in medical payments to others
      • Ordinance or law: coverage for the increased costs known or estimated by the insured for materials and labor to repair or replace the damaged property, demolish the undamaged portion of damaged property, and clear the site of resulting debris according to the ordinance or law.
      • Most of our add-on coverages too
  • What kinds of things are not covered under a Northern Neck home insurance policy?

    Standard home insurance does not cover every single thing that can happen and that actually keeps your premium down. Standard homeowners policies do not cover things like your power, water, or heat and A/C going out, a bug infestation, flooding, or damage from lack of home maintenance. Mistakenly lost or broken personal property is not covered either.

  • How does home insurance cover hurricane damage?

    Your home insurance coverage can cover damage to your home and personal belongings from wind, water damage, tornadoes, lightning, trees, and hail. Hurricanes are considered "named storms." You may have a named storm deductible for a claim. That information is located on your policy documents.

  • How do I change my home insurance or car insurance coverage?

    Please contact your agent to request changes to your insurance coverage.

  • Does a homeowners policy cover flood damage?

    No, standard homeowners policy excludes flood coverage. Learn more about the difference between flood insurance and Inland Flood Coverage. Home insurance can pay for water damage to your home from a hurricane if it results from other damage such as a tree falling on your house. 

  • I lost my wedding ring. Is that covered by my homeowners insurance?

    Home insurance will cover your jewelry in some cases, but not in all. Learn more.

  • Do you have any other coverages I can add to my home insurance policy?

    We have a variety of affordable add-on home insurance coverages:

      • Personal Property Replacement Cost
      • Cyber Protection
      • Equipment Breakdown Coverage
      • Extended Replacement Cost Endorsement
      • Personal Property Replacement Cost Endorsement
      • *Service Line Coverage
      • *Inland Flood- coverage applies to the dwelling, contents, basement personal property, and loss of use. Specific limits apply.

    *Not included in Homeowners Enhancement Endorsement

  • Is my significant other or partner covered under my Northern Neck homeowners policy?

    Yes, if you’re living with your significant other, we recommend adding their name to your policy. Beyond adding their name, make sure you update your Personal Property coverage to include the stuff they keep in your home as well.


  • Do I have Emergency Roadside Assistance on my auto policy?

    Yes, all NNINS auto policies have 24/7 emergency roadside assistance. Call 800-913-8847

  • What coverages are included in my car insurance policy?

    Your car insurance policy may or may not include the following coverages:

    • Liability coverage: Medical costs due to injury or death and repair costs for property from a car crash you caused.

    • Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage: medical and repair costs from a car crash with an uninsured or underinsured driver.

    • Collision coverage: repair expenses from car crashes regardless of who is at fault.

    • Comprehensive coverage: repair costs from damage that occurred outside of your control, such as weather-related damage, theft, vandalism, and animal hits.

    • Liability Coverage or personal liability insurance refers to coverage in the case of bodily injury or property damage to other people (or their stuff) as a result of your actions - at your home, and anywhere else
    • Medical payments coverage: medical payments for you and your passengers regardless of who was at fault.

    • Personal injury coverage: medical expenses, lost wages, childcare, funeral costs, and other expenses from a car crash regardless of who is at fault.

      Loan/Lease Coverage or gap insurance: the expense of the difference between your car’s true market value and what you owe on the car if the insurance carrier deems your car a total loss in a claim.

  • What’s not covered by my car insurance?

    Damage caused by normal wear and tear, intentional damage from something like damage from a DUI, and damage that exceeds your limits of liability are all examples of things not covered by your car insurance. Your coverage also depends on whether or not you have full coverage car insurance which includes comprehensive car insurance.

  • Will my car insurance cover damage to my car if a tree falls on it?

    The damages can be covered if you purchased comprehensive coverage. You will be responsible for paying your deductible.

  • Is my car covered for hurricane damage or damage from severe weather?

    The damages can be covered if you purchased comprehensive coverage. You will be responsible for paying your deductible. This coverage also can include flood damage to your car.

STILL NEED HELP? Skip to the form below




  • Where is Northern Neck Insurance available?

    We only insure in the state of Virginia by choice. We offer personal coverage throughout the commonwealth with the help of Virginia’s best independent insurance agents. Our local roots are complemented by the fact that our company is owned by and operated for the benefit of our members and fellow Virginians. We believe that our community-based mutual business model elevates us above other insurance companies.  Everyone in the Northern Neck family – members, agents, and staff – has a need for the products and services we provide so we put extra care into everything we do. Our primary motivation is taking care of our Virginia neighbors, not shareholder profits.

  • Why does my insurance keep going up when I haven't had any accidents or tickets or a home claim?

    We understand that premium increases are frustrating. We encourage you to contact your local independent agent to determine the cause and check to see if anything can be done to lower your premium. We also encourage you to read more about what’s affecting car insurance rates and what’s affecting home insurance rates.

  • What factors does Northern Neck Insurance consider for my property or home insurance?

    • Geographic location and correlating risk
    • Construction details
    • Age of insured
    • Age of your home
  • What does Northern Neck insurance consider when determining my rate for car insurance?

    • Age
    • Driving experience
    • Car make and model
    • How your car is used on a daily basis
    • Driving history
    • Claims history
    • Geographic location
    • Credit history
  • How can I save money on my home and car insurance?

    We have smart ways to save on your insurance. It’s important to recognize when it makes sense to review your coverage for savings and when cheap insurance is not the best idea. Talk with your home insurance agent to discuss how you can save money on your home insurance rates.

  • How do you calculate the cost of a Northern Neck homeowners policy?

    Homeowner premiums are calculated individually for each policyholder and are based on a number of different factors, including the age, value, condition, and construction quality of your home, as well as your insurance history, previous claims and more.

    Here are things that could affect your homeowners price:

    • The more coverage you add, the higher your premium.
    • The higher deductible you choose, the lower the premium, and the higher your out-of-pocket for a claim.
    • Better-maintained homes in localities with municipal fire services cost less to insure.
    • Insurance history and claims will increase your price and may even prevent us from being able to cover you.
    • Protective devices such as deadbolts, burglar alarms, and smoke alarms will get you a discount.
    • Bundling with other Northern Neck Insurance products, such as auto insurance, will get you a generous discount.
    • Paying your auto insurance premium in full annually will reduce your premium. 


  • Can I switch to Northern Neck if I already have an active homeowners insurance policy?

    Yes, you can and your local agent can advise you. You can request for your prior policy to be canceled on or after your new policy's effective date. This prevents any lapses in coverage. If you have an escrow account, then you also need to inform your lender that you're switching home insurers. You may also receive a refund check from your prior homeowners insurance company if you cancel your policy before it expires, reimbursing you for the coverage you already paid for.

  • Should I bundle home and auto insurance?

    Bundling insurance products is one of the best ways to save money when buying personal property insurance. When you consider all your family's assets and insurance needs together, you can find just the right combination of protection. That's why we specially design our pricing to reward households with two or more policies. When you get a quote and purchase NNINS policies within 60 days of one another, you get:

    • A 25% discount on your Car Insurance with an existing homeowners policy.
    • An extra 10% off your Home Insurance or Renters Insurance with that auto policy.

    You also qualify for an additional 5% credit for an Umbrella Insurance policy. Umbrella insurance can protect you with extra liability coverage for you and members of your family after your home, renters, and auto policy limits tap out, up to $1,000,000.

  • You say you have great prices- why did I get a quote that's higher than my old insurer?

    When we say we have great prices, we mean it. While our Virginia insurance prices tend to be lower than many other insurance companies, that won’t always be the case. That’s especially true when it comes to stand-alone auto insurance. Insurers use different models and data sets to establish prices, and on occasion, our rates will be higher than another insurer. It may be complicated, but that’s the way statistics and insurance works. The good news is we have really great ways to save. We give up to a 25% discount just for bundling home and auto insurance!

STILL NEED HELP? Skip to the form below




  • What is an independent insurance agent?

    Northern Neck Insurance is represented throughout Virginia by a network of independent insurance agents. Independent agents are brokers who are not employed by any specific insurance carrier. Independent agents can sell insurance policies from multiple companies and are paid on commission. We only sell our insurance products through our local independent agent partners. We always get the question: why can't I buy an insurance policy directly from you? The short answer is that we know there's more to insurance than grabbing 15-minute quotes. We have a long answer too. And you can find one for yourself and see the proof!

  • Why is Northern Neck Insurance taking pictures of my house?

    Home insurance protects you financially from all kinds of potential damage and liability. This process sometimes requires a home insurance provider to perform an inspection and take pictures of your home. Your participation in the process can help ensure you have adequate coverage, minimize your liability and risk, and help you make smoother claims. We can explain why and how you can upload your own pictures on our Member Portal.

  • Do I need Earthquake Insurance in Virginia?

    Surprisingly, the Commonwealth has averaged one earthquake per month since 1977. Thankfully, the majority are too small to feel or cause damage. Is it worth it? That may depend on where you live. Most seismic activity in Virginia is centered in two zones: one stretching from the Richmond area to Charlottesville and another in the New River Valley in Giles County. And there are always exceptions, like the 2011 earthquake in Louisa, Virginia. That 4.5 quake left an estimated $200 to $300 million in damage in the US. The good news is that earthquake coverage is included in our broadest home insurance product.

  • Is Renters Insurance required in Virginia?

    You do not have to have Renters Insurance in Virginia. But you will find many property owners require it when you sign a new lease. Even if they don't, consider the advantages of Renters Insurance. Every dollar counts, which is why Renters Insurance should be a no-brainer for most people. For pennies a day, you are protecting yourself against theft, fire, and liability losses that could quickly run into thousands of dollars. It also protects you and your stuff, not your apartment, so things like your laptop are protected when you travel!

  • Should I buy a house without an inspection?

    The current housing market has precipitated a new trend of skipping the home inspection process to compete with other buyers. If you waive your right to a home inspection on a home purchase, you are not thoroughly investigating the home. You could be blindly purchasing one of the most significant financial investments of your life with a slew of expensive problems and endless repair bills. Learn a lot more from our blog articles on the risk of waiving a home inspection and buying a house as-is!


If you have a question please use the form below and we will get back to you within one business day.