Bodily Injury Claims Specialist
Reports To: Claims Supervisor
FLSA Status: Exempt
Grade: Professional/Managerial #2
Investigates, evaluates and settles moderate to personal lines automobile 1st and/or 3rd party claims. This includes handling 3rd party BI claims by performing the following Essential Duties with or without the assistance of outside vendors and with or without the assistance management direction. May involve multiple lines of coverage and/or litigated files.
- Provide excellent customer service to Agents, Insureds and 3rd parties through prompt contact, courteous and professional behavior, and prompt response to verbal and written inquiries.
- Conduct thorough and impartial investigations and evaluations that result in prompt fair settlements. Keep Management, Agents, Insureds and Claimants apprised of claim status.
- Determine if there is a need for the assistance of outside vendors and manage their participation throughout the claims process.
- Maintain accurate, complete and claim files that comply with Best Practices and statutory requirements and that are accurately and appropriately reserved.
- Utilize the diary management system to ensure all claims are handled timely.
- Set timely reserves and update them as new information is received.
- Other duties as assigned.
Must have technical and educational background and/or transferable skills from another industry or profession that will enable individual to complete the duties required.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s Degree and/or 4 years or more experience in the Insurance industry or a related technical field. Basic typing skills are essential. Some knowledge of Microsoft Word and related products is helpful.
This job requires that the employee’s skills are continuously updated to keep abreast of changing policy forms, laws and statutory regulations.
Must be able to read, analyze and understand legal and/or technical reports, and related documents. Must be able to verbally communicate decisions and negotiate effectively with all Customers, internal and external. Will be required to possess the skills to author reports and letters that are persuasive and professional.
Individual must be able to speak clearly, politely, use proper grammar and terms that are familiar to the general public. Must have some knowledge of legal and technical terms.
Math skills that will allow preparation and evaluation of damage estimates as well as percentages for depreciation and liability.
Must be able to gather information, establish facts, and evaluate complex data to determine coverage, liability and damages. Must be able to apply applicable law, contractual terms and conditions and statutory requirements to the decision making process.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The employee will be required to sit, talk, see and hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to type, key numbers and handle paper documents. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable those with physical disability to perform essential functions.
The majority of this job is done in an office environment, but does require onsite inspection of claims or travel to meet with Agents, policyholders, claimants and vendors, attend trials and mediations on occasion. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable those with physical disability to perform essential functions.
Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll reach out if your skillset matches our requirements.