Bodily Injury and Casualty Examiner
Northern Neck Insurance Company, a Virginia only mutual insurance company, is looking for a highly motivated and experienced Bodily Injury and Casualty Examiner to handle a growing inventory of personal lines auto and property liability and bodily injury claims. This individual will be responsible for the investigation, evaluation and resolution of moderate to severe bodily injury claims including multiple lines and litigated files.
- Provide excellent customer service to agents, Insureds and claimants through prompt contact, courteous and professional behavior and prompt response to verbal and written inquiries.
- Investigates, maintains and settles claims in accordance with Virginia laws
- Conduct thorough, high-quality coverage and eligibility investigations and utilize outside resources as necessary.
- Assigned claims may involve coverage interpretation and litigation.
- Prepares appropriate coverage letters for review and approval by claims management.
- Completes an investigation on each claim in a timely manner and fully documents the claim file with claim details.
- Handles assigned claims following company guidelines and industry best practices.
- Promptly identifies claims that have significant exposure or suspected fraudulent activity.
- Sets accurate reserves on each claim within given authority level and promptly advises management of claims that will require reserves exceeding authority.
- Maintains a diary system that assures that each assigned claim will receive necessary ongoing attention.
- Travels to attend mediations, settlement conferences and trials as needed.
- Uses the claims system to accurately change reserves and make payments within assigned authority levels.
- Closely manages defense counsel and outside vendors to ensure that loss adjustment expenses are appropriate.
- May be called upon to perform other tasks and duties within the claims department as dictated by business needs.
Responsible for training less experienced staff.
The ideal candidate for this role should be able to showcase the following skills in his or her resume: knowledge of insurance claim procedures, confidentiality, critical thinking, decision making, time management, and computer competences.
- 5-10 years of claim handling experience including bodily injury and litigated claims
- Ability to evaluate policy language and apply to claim
- Willingness to accept challenges and take on new responsibilities
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience and designations, including ongoing Continuing Education
- Solid planning & organizational skills including time-management and prioritization
- Analytical skills to identify, gather, and organize information
- Customer focused attitude and skills to resolve inquiries quickly and effectively
- Strong verbal & written communication skills
- Excel in soft skills such as objective listening, thinking on your feet and great people skills
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The employee will be required to sit, talk, see and hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to type, key numbers and handle paper documents. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable those with physical disability to perform essential functions.
There is a possibility to work remote after a 90-day introductory period. The position will occasionally require onsite inspection of claims or travel to meet with agents, policyholders, claimants and vendors, and attendance at trial and mediations. Relocation assistance is available. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable those with physical disability to perform essential functions